AGandyGirl

Progress: 3 %
Enduring Night
John Wiltshire
Progress: 14 %
Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
Margot Lee Shetterly
Progress: 106/271 pages
Flag Counter

The Boys on the Mountain

The Boys on the Mountain - John Inman Wow! My first John Inman and certainly not my last. I'm kinda in awe at this point over what transpired and what we as readers underwent emotionally while reading this book. From gut wrenching torment to roll on the floor laughter I was hit from all angles but what a balance...truly a talented writer at work!

I enjoy some horror and yeah I'm a sucker for some good gore but this pushed me to the brink several times...because yeah this one was quite descriptive...but oh how I loved it. Now I will say that there was one scene early on that I had to skip/skim...I mean momma here does have her no-no's torture, rape and murder of a 12 year old boy from the victim's point of view...yeah that's pretty damn high on my list...and at the time I was so upset not to have been warned properly in the blurb. But thankfully I was not...as I'm afraid I would have elected not to read this book at all...and how terrible that would have been. The descriptive nature of some of these murders was brilliantly told leaving the reader totally immersed in what our MC Jim is experiencing.

“I don’t want to see any more images like I just saw. This all started out as sort of a lark. A game. I’ve spent my life writing novels of the supernatural, and suddenly I find myself living it. I thought it was exciting at first. But no more. I’ve seen enough. Too much. I don’t want to relive every one of those boy’s deaths. I don’t think I could stand it. If you had seen what I saw, what Nigel Letters did to that boy, you wouldn’t want to see any more either.”

We feel it all and yet if we didn't we would never truly understand how Jim decides to do what he does.

But again...thankfully the humor was just the perfect balance...with Jesse holding center stage...I laughed A LOT!!

Truly hilarious and witty dialog...plus throw in a smartass dog and plenty of alcohol...perfect entertainment.

Now there were things I wanted...more with the grandmother and the flashback of Nigel's death for starters and certainly there were things I'm glad we did not get...Arturo's torture ranks high up there for me. And yes I do wish a few things towards the end had played out a little differently. But disappointed, I was not.

Now that ending!?!?!? Well, you'll just have to read it for yourself and experience this crazy ride for yourself.

A fantastic BR with Marte and Marco.

“BY THE time this house is despooked this book is read we’ll all be at Alcoholics Anonymous memorizing the steps and waiting for our liver cells to rejuvenate.”

Bwahahahaha!!!

Yeah...I could have filled this review with some classic horror gifs but I have to be honest...nothing comes close to the visuals in my head that will stick with me for some time to come. Again...wow!

*****

They said I could join them...

Status Updates:

When the drapes were suddenly flung open by invisible hands and moonlight flooded across my bed like a spotlight, I gasped, but still I felt more exhilaration than fear. I may even have allowed a small grin to creep across my face.
And so it begins!!

After all, I had just invited friends up. It would be the epitome of rudeness to die before they got here. They had only just received their invitations, for God’s sake, and knowing them, they would be highly offended by such slipshod planning. In the gay world, everything has to be just so. Especially where a party is concerned. Death is no excuse. Yes, I definitely had to stay alive at least until my guests arrived. After that, I could politely drop dead if I felt the urge to do so.

12%
I pushed the board aside and opened another box.
There I found all manner of strange items. In a long, narrow wooden box I found dozens of glass pipettes, the kind a laboratory worker might use to stir chemicals. They were perhaps ten inches long and as narrow as a pencil with a tiny glass bulb on the end of each one. The other end tapered to a dull point. In the box were also several rolls of duct tape, a leather hood with holes for the eyes and mouth, and in a folding leather satchel, a set of knives and clamps and large sewing needles that looked like they might be made for use in saddlery or some other sort of leatherwork.

15%
I had heard the final moments of a young man’s life. A young man, no more than a boy really, who had met his death in that room long before I was even born. I knew nothing about him, but I wanted to. I wanted to know everything there was to know.
You do...I don't. *Annoyed*

19%
“Mrs. O’Donnell, no one has reached out to me. I heard crying. I heard a scream. Someone typed the word pai n on my portable typewriter. That’s all. But I found things in the carriage house that need explaining. Disturbing things.”
She nodded. “That’s where the pain is centered, Mr. Brandon. But it’s in other parts of the house as well. And it isn’t just the boys who roam that house. There’s evil there too. It roams the house with them. Perhaps you haven’t felt it yet, but you will. Sooner or later, you will.”

21%
I ran my thumb across the yellowed photograph. In my imagination, I felt the smoothness of the boy’s cheek. The warmth of his skin against my own. I felt his mouth open wide in a bellow of torment and pain. And slowly, I felt his eyes close forever, the tears and the suffering at last extinguished. He grew still beneath my touch. “I heard him die,” I said, and I closed my eyes….
Stopping. Deep breath.

24%
Nothing could have prepared me for the horror and sexually disturbing behavior depicted in the last 3% of this book. I skipped 98% of this and it was still enough to turn my stomach. I have never been more thankful for falling behind in a BR. *horrified that there is no warning in the blurb for this*

25%

31%
"Who's that?"

37%
TJ didn’t intend to meet the same fate. There were things he wanted to do with his life. Places he wanted to go. His parents’ death might have given him a rocky start, but he would overcome it. He would not fall into any of the traps that so many other boys on the street had fallen into. Drugs, for one. And desperation, for another. He would not be selling himself until sickness and time took everything away from him that men were now so eager to pay him for—his youth, his looks, his aura of innocence. This was a passing phase in his life, not a career choice. In a year or so, when he once again had a bit of money set aside, he would put this life behind him forever.
:-(

40%
“So what is the game plan?” Lyle asked, watching me. “Love is boring. Let’s get down to the really important stuff, such as how do five guys without a religious bone among them set about exorcising demons from a house? Should we swallow our pride and agnosticism and contact a priest?” Then his face brightened. “I know! We’ll hold a séance!”
“Typical gay response,” Michael groaned.

A seance...yes please!!!

43%
Lyle was not happy. “Well, no shit, Jessica!”
Jesse took umbrage. “Now just a minute, Lyla!”
As host, I felt it my duty to diffuse the situation before my guests started bitch-slapping the crap out of each other. I seemed to remember reading something about that in Emily Post’s Guide to Successful Hostessing.

This entire chapter...

45%
“We go to him now so that he can relive the pleasures he had with us. Murder was an act of intimacy to him. An act of love. He enjoyed it then as he enjoys it now. He does not call for me because I was not enjoyable to him.”
One. Sick. Fuck.

46%
One by one, we followed Stu’s eyes upward. Protruding from the ceiling were more than a dozen faces peeking through the plaster as if peering down through the surface of a lake to see what lay beneath. Their eyes numbed with pain, their mouths stretched wide in silent screams, the faces of the young men who had died here more than six decades earlier looked down at us in mute horror. They were seamless faces, unlined but for their agony.

51%
“but it will take another fifty to keep me there all night. For that you can do anything with my youth that takes your fancy. Until you get tired of me.”
“Oh, I think it would take more than one night to grow tired of you. I should think even an eternity wouldn’t be enough. But I don’t mind paying for what I want. I suspect you’ll be well worth the money.”

O_O Eternity... *cringes*

57%
“BY THE time this house is despooked we’ll all be at Alcoholics Anonymous memorizing the steps and waiting for our liver cells to rejuvenate.”
Thank god for the blend of humor. Wow.

59%

72%
But the eyes gave him away. There was nothing of beauty about them at all. If eyes are the windows of the soul, then his looked into an empty room. They stared at us now with cold, condescending hatred.

75%
“Alcohol is forbidden at the Manor, but I’m not at the Manor now, am I? Everyone has a cocktail but me. Being ninety-six years old doesn’t make me dead quite yet. I’d like a drink.”
I jumped. “Oh! I’m sorry. What would you—?”
“Three fingers of Irish whiskey. Straight up.”
"Uh… what about your medica—?”
"Now please. And I’d like a straw.”
"Gotcha."

76%
“My God,” Michael said, watching them. “Here we are doing battle with the minions of Satan, and all we have on our side are Sergeant Bilko, Colonel Klink, Gomer Pyle, and a six-foot seamstress, all just as queer as we are, and all so drunk they couldn’t find each other’s asses with glow-in-the-dark dildos and a topographical map!”
Gawd...I love this book.

82%
Ok I've casted Nigel Letters...

Kevin Spacey from "Seven"

85%

87%
Jesse alone stood out from the crowd. Dubious fashion icon, as always, he was wearing a pith helmet, hot pants, and a magenta pullover with the words “The Fruit Never Falls Far From The Tree” emblazoned across his chest.
*on the floor*