AGandyGirl

Try
Ella Frank
Progress: 33 %

Dark Space

Dark Space - Lisa Henry Phew. I'm an emotional wreck. My initial review below still fully grasps my feelings on this book. I need a break though and will wait a while before picking up Darker Space.

***

Original Review from January 2015

So this is one of those books that I heard a lot about and yet knew NOTHING about. Yes, I knew it was Sci-Fi, knew that everyone loved it but really that was it...and honestly this is how I like my books. I don't want to know...so keep me away from the reviews.

Well...needless to say, I was...

The premise, the setting, the MC's and my god, this connection. I just have not read anything like this.

I knew what he wanted. I knew what he needed. I could read his desires as clearly as I could read my own. Sharing a head space meant that neither of us had to explain. We’d never done this before, but it didn’t matter. It was like finding ourselves in the middle of a dance and somehow knowing the steps.

This entire connection is just....just...aaaaaaahhhhh.

And yet with every book, there comes an end and I did not want this one to come to closure at all. So if you have not read this book yet...

And then come back and finish this review. Do not open this unless you have read it for yourself first!!!

The end...the end...the end...I am torn honestly. I did read a few reviews when I finished and I was glad to know that I was not alone. What the Fuck?? That ended far too quickly and was painful to read. I'm tearing up just writing this! I felt so much was left unresolved...
1. What was the true nature of Cam's relationship with the Faceless...as painful as his experience was, I am not sure I ever fully understood how he could be ok with being with Kai-Ren when he was pond scum to him? Was this just all about being the hero and taking whatever for the good of the Universe? Or was he manipulated that badly? And what essentially amounted to a three way in Brady's head...whew...I did not need any of that at all. I hated that Cam seemed to fall back in sync with Kai-Ren so easily.
2. Did we get a treaty signed? And if so would this put an end to them needing to be in space at all?
3. Thank the fucking lord that Cam saved Brady at the end from Kai-Ren...I thought I was going to loose it! But even in this scene, I kinda felt like we would get some flashbacks to Wade...not that I wanted that but it was something I expected. And really...I was pissed off at Cam for even taking him there in the first place!
4. We did not get the scene when their connection was broken. This for me...just kinda breaks my heart. Their connection, while uncomfortable at times, was the most amazing part of this entire book and so I wanted to see their reaction to this or honestly wanted it not to be broken at all.
5. And yes, in my book, the murdering assholes got sucked into space...aaaahhhhh. Nice.
Side note: so Tina's review jived most with my feelings and she actually posted some of these questions to Lisa Henry and got some answers. I'm with Tina that these answers should have made the book. See her review here

So yes, I'm pleased, I read this in a day and I'm sure to reread this again for sure! Do I want a sequel...no, Some books are best left well enough alone. (Course some say we will get one.).

A gift from my a Secret Santa Marco...January 2nd BR with Marco, Trisha and Momo

Status Updates:

Page 1
I'm starting...and slap me but this is my first Lisa Henry book, I think!

Page 7
"Cameron Rushton's back!"

Page 27
*shakes head bewildered* I'm aroused and scared shitless...whew!

Page 36
I felt his homesickness wash over me, and it felt almost the same as mine. This wasn’t just about his body reading mine. This wasn’t just about a heartbeat. I could feel what he felt as well. His homesickness, his fear, his sadness, and hiding underneath it all and skittering away when I tried to pin it down was a sickening sense of shame.

Page 48
He was leaning against the wall, looking at the floor. His hair had fallen forward, hiding the angles of his face.
“Hey,” I said and reached out my hand.
He didn’t even look up. He just raised his palm to where he knew my hand would be, and we touched. I spread my fingers, and his curled through them.

Page 59
"Just feel."
Gaaaaahhhhhhh

Page 84
He touched his lips against mine in a featherlight kiss, and my heart skipped a beat. Was this what I wanted, or was I only feeling his desire? Shit, did it even matter? Here in this moment I wanted it. I wanted it enough not to worry about how I would feel in the morning.

Page 95
He put a hand on his heart.
"I've got you here. I'll be okay."
❤️❤️❤️

Page 115
Sweet lord...

Page 115
Sorry...but I'm just going to continue to quote the shit out of this book!!!

Page 156
"Remind me I'm alive."

Page 174
“What the fuck, Brady?”
My stomach clenched. “What?”
“Stop doing that!”
“Doing what?”
"To who?” I asked, my voice snagging in my throat.
"Brady.” Cam cupped my cheeks in his hands and pressed his forehead against mine. “How can I get it through this thick skull of yours? To me. You matter to me.”

Page 188
"We never had a future."

Page 216
Finished. I'm a mess. Rating and review to come after I get some sleep.

Status Updates (Read #2):

I pressed my palm against the sac. It pulsed slightly, like it really was amniotic fluid, like there really was a heartbeat echoing through it. And then Cameron Rushton moved.
His hand came up, palm upward, and pressed against mine. Right against it, like he knew it was there even though he hadn’t opened his eyes. The weird rubbery skin of the sac slid between our palms.

17%
“You’re okay, Garrett. I just need to borrow your strength for a bit.”

22%
He was close, too close. My mouth was dry, and my heart beat faster. I don’t know what I thought would happen. No, I do. I thought he’d kiss me. Fuck, I thought he’d lean down and kiss me. And I thought I’d let him.

25%
Was it weird that I was starting to enjoy the little spikes of lust that thrilled through him when we touched? That thrilled through us? I liked the way he looked at me. I liked the way his touch made my heart beat a little faster. I liked the way he needed me. I liked the way I was important to him.
If weird is arousing and sexy...then yes, I'll take weird. ;)

39%
“I could lose myself in you.”

44%
I looked over his shoulder to where Cam was sitting on the edge of the bed. He was picking at a thread on the knee of his fatigues. His hair curtained his face. Then he looked up and shot me a smile that made my heart beat faster. His too, maybe. He put a hand on his heart.
"I’ve got you here. I’ll be okay.”

52%

54%
gaaaaaaahhhhh

60%
Even having read this book before...I am still worried about this and Book 2...
“What does Kai-Ren have over you?”
Cam’s green eyes couldn’t meet mine. “It’s not like that, Brady.”

73%
“It doesn’t have to be like that. It’s harder to hold on to hate than you think. It doesn’t make you stronger, you know.”
Whatever.
"I mean it,” he said. “And maybe this is just the latte-drinking faggot city boy speaking, but nothing that pushes people away can make you strong."

79%
“What the fuck, Brady?”
My stomach clenched. “What?”
“Stop doing that!”
I frowned at him. “Doing what?”
His grip relaxed, but he didn’t let go of my arm. He frowned. “Stop thinking you’re not important! You matter, okay? What happens to you matters.”
“To who?” I asked, my voice snagging in my throat.
“Brady.” Cam cupped my cheeks in his hands and pressed his forehead against mine. Our bulky goggles knocked together. “How can I get it through this thick skull of yours? To me. You matter to me.”