AGandyGirl

Progress: 57 %
Flag Counter

Straight

Straight - Seth King

Perhaps the word “straight” doesn’t even mean anything at all, and we are being killed by the categories we force ourselves to live within. In fact, the only thing that scares me about the word “straight” is living my life in a straight line, too terrified to jump off the beaten path and explore something that might light me up inside.

So I started this knowing really nothing about this book or this author at all.  And while this starts out with a few awkward moments and exchanges, this grew on me with every page.  This was ultimately quite a beautiful journey into understanding what happens when you fall in love with someone of the same sex…fall in love with your soul mate…someone who in the end is just another human on this planet that you connect to with your whole heart.

Because love does not exist between men and women. Love does not exist between blondes and brunettes. Love does not exist between Caucasian people and Asian people. Love exists between humans.

And Henry’s journey, while frustrating at times, seemed real to me.  From realizing his attraction, through the ABC’s of being gay and what is involved in having sex with another man, to understanding prejudices, and hatred based on who you love…this was incredibly thought provoking.

While I have no idea the journey the author himself has taken, this felt very much like the lifting of a weight that had been carried by him for years and years.  The depth at which this author explores sexuality, labels, the perception of others, religious beliefs and ultimately just the dropping of all preconceived notions of what a relationship means, it was all just incredibly touching.

Overall this was just beautifully written.  The few uses of the word “kid” (cringes) faded in importance and while their ages seemed off to me, it really mattered less and less as the story developed.  I look forward to following this author and seeing what else he has to offer.

*Highly Recommended*